In a world full of comparisons it is easy to get down on yourself. It’s easy to feel as if you just wore 2 pant sizes smaller, had straighter teeth, chiseled abs, thigh gaps, or big biceps that you would be happier. It’s easy to compare yourself to others and feel nothing good about yourself. Let this be a reminder of the awesome qualities you do have.
I’m speaking from my own experience and my own personal issues with body image. It’s hard to wake up and not stare in the mirror and poke at parts of my body I don’t like. It’s hard to not let it annoy me and put me in an on edge mood with my daughter and husband. It’s hard to not constantly suck in my stomach and compare myself to every other woman I see to figure out where I stand in comparison to her.
So maybe I’m the only one who deals with this, and that means this post is only for me, that’s okay. I feel though that this is not true. I feel this will relate to many of you on a personal level, no matter your gender, age, size, or life stage. We are obsessed with comparisons. We are obsessed with being better than others. We are obsessed with being beautiful and handsome. We compare ourselves to others to try to determine our value, and we’re left deflated in the end every time.
You see, this comparison game is a genius concept from Satan to distract us from seeing the truths. He uses it to make us focus on the good things we aren’t and the bad things we are. He uses it to exhaust all of our energy to do beneficial and productive things with our lives. Instead we are tired, obsessed with “fixing” our physical self, and not accomplishing more meaningful pursuits.
If you are reading this, and you feel this is or ever has been you, here are 5 TRUTHS to remember when the comparison lies say otherwise:
- You were created in HIS image. Genesis 1:27-“So God created man in His OWN image; in the image of God He created them; male and female he created them.” How awesome of a reminder is it that when God created us He chose to make us like Him?!
- You were fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14- “I will praise You, for [a]I am fearfully and wonderfully made;Marvelous are Your works,And that my soul knows very well.” There are many times I do not feel fearfully and wonderfully made. I question why I look certain ways, but this is a good reminder.
- You are valuable. Matthew 10:30- “But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.” This should make you feel VERY VERY valuable and loved. When you value something, you know so many intricate details about it. As a mom I think of my daughter. Gosh, I didn’t know I could love a person that way! But guess what, I cannot tell you the number of soft golden hairs that are on the perfect head of hers. My God can though. Can you believe He knows that of all of us?! When you don’t feel valued, remember this.
- You are loved. John 3:16- “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” Comparison and many other things in life can make us feel unloved, but you are absolutely loved.
- You are a masterpiece. Ephesians 2:10- “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” Another word for workmanship is masterpiece. Again, this just refreshes my soul knowing this is what God thinks of me.
I’m not saying that knowing these things fixes all our self image problems because it doesn’t. There are days we win the battle and days we lose the battle. The more you fill your head with these truths, the less space there is for the lies and things that don’t matter.
Hope you have a wonderful day!